Director: John G. Avildsen
Writer: Robert Mark Kamen
Genre: Martial Arts Mayhem
Jersey boy moves to the west coast with his mom and realizes that he'll need to improve his karate skills to win the girl, the respect of the head of a karate/biker gang and himself. Enter a lousy handyman but truly excellent karate master, and the rest is history.
- All of it! From the time the Cobra Kai biker gang shows up on the beach, I was hooked.
- "Strike first, strike hard, no mercy sir!"
- Skeleton Halloween costumes!!
- The obvious love and respect between Daniel and Mr. Miyagi
- Daniel & Ali's date at the most wonderful teen place in existence
- The movie that launched a thousand dojos
- For the continuing adventures of Daniel and the Cobra Kai, check out No More Kings: Sweep the Leg (2007) and Cobra Kai (2018)
- Spawned two sequels:
The Karate Kid Part II (1986) set in Okinawa with Tamlyn Tomita & Yuji Okumoto &
The Karate Kid Part III (1989) set back in California with Robyn Lively and Sean Kanan
- Also spawned two reboots:
The Next Karate Kid with Hilary Swank (1994) &
The Karate Kid (2010) with Jaden Smith